The history of Fairview Church could be told from its doctrinal commitments, its buildings or its people. It is these concerns that make us who we are today by the grace of God.
Our doctrinal commitments have always been in the Reformed teachings of the Bible. The Reformed Presbyterian Church came to America from Scotland in 1774. By 1798 there were enough churches to form the Reformed Presbyterian Church in America. This denomination was committed to absolute authority of the Bible in all of life as interpreted in the Westminster Confession of Faith and Larger and Shorter Catechisms. Our fathers in the faith in Scotland were committed and died for the belief in the sovereign authority and reign of the Lord Jesus Christ in all of life and in His church. In this tradition the Reformed Presbyterian Church in North America, General Synod established Fairview Reformed Presbyterian Church September 27, 1852 with fourteen charter members and twenty-three minor children under the leadership of Rev. George Scott and elders from Darlington and Washington congregations. The church with the denomination merged with the Bible Presbyterian Church in 1965 to form the Reformed Presbyterian Church, Evangelical Synod. It was a renewed commitment to doctrines and mission of the church in the Bible. In 1982, this denomination joined and was received by a larger denomination, the Presbyterian Church in America. It was formed in 1972 by a group of churches that pulled out of the doctrinally liberal southern Presbyterian denomination. God has been faithful to Fairview Church in keeping us committed to the inspiration of Scripture and zeal for evangelism.
The zeal for evangelism has resulted in the growth of the congregation and the need for larger buildings. The original church building was replaced with a larger building moved from West Middlesex, PA. It was dedicated on May 24, 1925. A vestibule and educational wing basement was added in 1962. The second floor was started in 1973 and dedicated in February of 1974. As the congregation has continued to grow, a new sanctuary with classrooms on the lower floor was built and dedicated on August 6, 1995. Additional land was purchased in 2002 to allow for more parking. We thank the Lord for His grace for the growth and improvements throughout the years.
The real history of Fairview Church is the work of God in the lives of His people. Many members have a story and a testimony of Christ’s work in their heart. By studying Session records and talking to some members who have been steadfast throughout the years, you can see times of revival and times of hardship. In the early 1950’s the church grew through Vacation Bible School, camps and young people coming to know the Lord and living their faith. The church was split when families left who didn’t want to hear “being born again” preaching. The church recovered and grew. The Lord continued to show His grace through Bible Conferences, Mission Conferences, summer mission trips, and youth activities. Rev. Carl Stewart served as a volunteer visitation pastor from 1997 to September 2008. He was loved by all. A steeple was added to the sanctuary in his memory given by his children and dedicated August 22, 2010. In April 2016, Fairview Church transitioned in its senior pastor. The church celebrated Pastor Ric and Dee Dee Raines’ 43 years of faithful leadership. Through it all, God has been good and faithful. We stand upon the faithfulness of God and men and women for 150 years in the same place. And today, we look in faith for God to redeem western Beaver County and not let sin and human obsessions entangle our pursuit to serve the mission of the living God. May God expand His kingdom.